Friday, January 12, 2007

Headset Surprise



(Picture above: Members of the "Credit Aquatique" cycling team start some early season conditioning)

You would think I would have noticed that there were no headset cups visible on the fully built Schwinn Factory that hangs on a bike rack in my living room. (In fact, I actually did, the bottom one at least, but somehow didn't make the connection). Had I really been thinking and done the research, I now wonder if I would have been so determined to use the same frame for my TT bike as I have mixed feelings about and no experience with integrated headsets. Apparently, beginning in 1998, Schwinn bikes used some of the first integrated headsets. Mountain bikes and many of the 2001 Factory road bikes came equipped with an ICBM headset. (Researching other Fastback Factory road bikes has shown me that some instead came with, perhaps installed by the shop or dealer, a Cane Creek IS integrated headset. Of course the ICBM was made by Aheadset, which is in fact Cane Creek.) I located sources for ICBM, Cane Creek (various models) and FSA integrated headsets (there are a couple of other non compatible standards) and I'm hoping, despite not finding any absolute assurance, (the ICBM absolutely works on certain Schwinn "mountain bikes" without mention of the homegrown road frames) that the Cane Creek IS 2 now on order (in fact on backorder to get what I thought was a reasonable price) will fit this frame. I have seen enough positive reviews on integrated headsets to counter my fears about the negatives (seen a lot of negative comments from Chris King) although I tend to think that this is one of those technological 'improvements' that has a basis more in trying to force everyone to change what they have than in a multitude of realized benefits. Since this bike should be used, for the most part, only for racing and optimum condition training (i.e., on the local rails to trails and not generally on actual roads other than in races) I'm less concerned about having the type of damage to the headset that might ruin the frame. And, I'm (sometimes) up for trying out something new and different, as long as it isn't prohibitively expensive (like switching to tubular wheels and tires seemed to be). I have to admit that, aesthetically speaking, the IS system is a plus in that it won't interfere with the excellent paint job on the frame/fork. Headset cups do tend to look sort of 'clunky' when you see then next to bikes with IS. But my progress is going to slow waaaay down, not only due to waiting for the headset to arrive, but also due to the fact that the school semester begins next Tuesday. There are two breaks this semester - one of about 2 days (plus the weekend) in February, and spring break in March. I *should* be able to get the bike built by the end of spring break (hoping that the longer I can't work on it, the more inspired I will be to work all out given the opportunity). One advantage is that in warmer weather (March should be), it will be easier for me to set up my workstand outside (on the covered patio) and have more space to work in. DST starts in mid March this year as well, giving me longer working hours. I also 'lose' one class in March as it lasts only half of the semester; although I pick up a class (to teach) in the second half of the semester although it is only 2 1/2 hours a week and class I lose takes up almost 6 hours as week which eats up a couple of mornings. No point in getting the fork sawwed off as I'll also have the bike shop set the star nut and (possibly) the crown race; both of which will arrive with the headset. No point in getting started on possible work on my road bike as I needed to have the TT bike built (to have something fast to ride) before I start disabling my road bike. What I can do is double and triple check everything else I have planned to make certain I haven't made any more errors (like I already did in buying a regular threadless headset), working ahead on school stuff (ha!) to the degree I can once I have my course syllabus information next week, and getting some of the odds and ends of parts laying around 'just in case I needed them' together to sell on ebay. I've also been taking it easy somewhat with training (in the middle of a 10 week cycle of strength/weight training that is kicking my a#s) and I'm going to need to start upping miles and intensity in all three triathlon disciplines to get ready for the race or races that I wanted this bike for in the first place.
Like everything else I've done in working on bikes, this has, so far, provided several learning experiences which should, in turn, better prepare me for doing things in the future (I tend to think I learn better by making mistakes than I would if everything somehow fell into place perfectly).
Coming up: pedals; which cyclometer to use

No comments: