Sunday, March 4, 2007

Cables and Housing


The worst week of the school semester (so far) was last week, with just one week of classes until spring break. Although I am by not means 'caught up,' I found some time Friday and Saturday to start making some progress.
I mounted the tires on the wheels. It was not easy to get the last couple of inches on and I broke a Crank Brothers Speed Lever (it is not the first time) in the process. Another argument for tubulars! The Vredstein Fortezza tires are rated to 175 psi so I'm anxious to see how they feel.
With the wheels on the bike, I made some tentative adjustments to the aero/base bar (combination of visual and physical assessments) and torqued everything down to recommended levels. I also went back and checked the torque on derailleur fastening bolts, brake lever attachment, and shifter attachment.
The brakes are fully functional. The only tricky thing was getting the housing through the base bar. In the previous post, two badly focused pictures show a portion of this process - what finally worked was using a very small hex wrench to catch and insert in the center of the housing like a hook, then tug downward through the hole. I ran the brake cables through the housing and into the brakes; using a Park Tools 3rd hand brake tool to hold them closed. I finally got the cables tight enough (I don't like sloppy feeling brakes) by sliding the top part of the brake slightly upward on the cable (while pulling it downward and tight), and quickly tightening the bolt with my other hand. Both front and rear will likely need re-tightened after some riding but should be safe for now. I also torqued the brake calipers and brake cable bolts to manufacturer's recommendations. The directions (Shimano) with the brake calipers weren't bad.
Today we've been hit with another blast of cold weather (60s - 70s all of last week up until yesterday). Instead of doing something outside, I started up again on the bike relatively early. I ran the shifter housing (it was easier than the brake housing as the aero extensions are a straight line; the base bar had a major curve that the brake housing had to go around) and have put both cables through. I had purchased an entire set of Jagwire racer cables and housing and I am very pleased with it. I didn't know until I looked at their site that this same kit is available in hot pink (I have standard dark grey; close to the Shimano Dura Ace color) which would have gone pretty well on this bike. I'll keep that in mind for the future. This kit had most of the things I needed (other than bigger brake ferrules for the Cane Creek levers) including little bumper pads (red things in the photo) for the cables to keep them from putting rub marks on your frame.
The housing cut easily and pretty neatly. This is the first time I've ever sized and cut housing and also the first time I worked with brakes that aren't cantilevers. (Dual pivot road brakes appear to be much easier to install and adjust than cantilevers.)
I'm going to need to put the chain on the start adjusting the derailleurs so I will do that this afternoon. I'm dreading working with the shifters because it has been my experience in the past that getting smooth shifting can be time consuming. I'll need to set up my workstand and there really isn't room inside, so working on the shifting may be out of the question for today as it is a little bit on the cold side (40s I think) today. Still, it looks like the first test ride may happen as early as next week.


No comments: